You have likely experienced some form of Office Politics. Working with different personalities, opinions, backgrounds, and values is a challenge in any environment. It is an inevitable fact that when people are working together personalities can and will clash. No one is an island, so working together as a team is incredibly important for the organization and every employee.
Office Politics is about creating and maintaining better relationships. It is about communicating and working with your peers and colleagues in a mutually beneficial way. Employees who understand the positive aspects of Office Politics are better team members and end up being more successful and productive.
To effectively deal with office politics, you must first accept the reality that they exist in every environment. Once accepted, the manager can learn the different ways to successfully manage employees as well as build the support they need to grow.
- Understand the purpose and benefits of office politics.
- Setting boundaries and ground rules for new employees.
- Learn to interact and influence among colleagues.
- Learn how to manage various personality types in the office.
- Determine how to gain support and effectively network.
- Recognize how you are a part of a group and how you function.